Manufacturing Engineer- Wayland, MA
Serve as key member of operations team, responsible for generating procedures, specifications, improved designs and processes for existing products. Work closely with the development engineering team on the design and transfer of new products to manufacturing. Assist cross functional teams with ideas and solutions to quality improvements on selected assemblies. Implement quality improvements into existing products. Support all products manufactured in house and at our Contract Manufacturers.
- Work closely with development engineering to ensure that new products are designed according to the requirements specified by the manufacturing group. Support the transfer of new and upgraded products into Production.
- Review design changes and assess manufacturability of proposed design changes.
- Reviews designs and provides feedback for Design for Manufacturability/Testability.
- Performs typical Sustaining Engineer activities on new product introductions and released products such as process development, authoring work Instructions, designing fixtures, generating ECOs, etc.
- Write and review ECO’s related to all issues concerning the manufacture of medical lasers.
- Perform root cause analysis on product failures in Manufacturing and Service returns. Change design and/or process to be more manufacturable, higher yield, higher quality, lower cost, and reduce rework.
- Design product enhancements that resolve reliability issues based on priorities of cross functional teams.
- Conduct tests and validations to prove design changes.
- Provide guidance to suppliers and sub-contractors to assure the quality of components and assemblies resulting from design changes.
- Improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing work flow, processes, space requirements and equipment layout to identify areas that could benefit from changes.
- Support production and purchasing as needed.
Estimated travel is 25%.
- 10 plus years directly related experience. Medical device experience preferred.
- Bachelor of Science in Manufacturing, Mechanical or other related Engineering degree.
- Experience with Solidworks.
- Experience with optics and medical products is preferred.
- Six-sigma, Lean and Black Belt training is a plus.